Not sure why I’m tracking all the details of my daily life this week? Read the first post to find out!

Monday- The Final Day

Midnight- 1:00- Lie awake, thinking about The Walking Dead season finale.  Obviously, it was pretty disturbing.  No spoilers for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet, though… I promise.

1:00- 1:30- Start to drift off when…

1:30- A. gets up, complaining of a sore throat.  Her nose sounds stuffy. Awesome.

1:30- 6:00- My amazing hubby gets up with A. so I can sleep.  Even though he has to work in the morning.  Love that man!  I sleep fitfully- lots of dreams, and a couple of very mild hot flashes.

6:00- 7:00- Wake up to see if there’s school today (recall from yesterday- we had a snowstorm overnight).  There is.  I lay there for the remainder of the hour, trying to muster the energy to drag myself out of bed.

7:00- 7:15- Get up and make A’s lunch.  She’s still sleeping, which is highly unusual.  I decide to let her sleep until 7:30.  Suddenly, I realize that I left her winter boots outside last Friday, when she decided it was necessary to walk through the mud on the way home from school.  Shit.  I look outside to discover her boots are filled with snow.   Great.  I dump it out, and put them in the dryer.

7:15- 9:00- Get A. up.  She’s definitely stuffy, and has a sore throat and headache.  No fever, though.  I give her some Ad.vil, and get her ready for school, knowing that she may not make it through the day.  I write a note for her teacher to call me on my cell phone if she isn’t coping well and needs to come home.  I don’t harass her too much about eating breakfast today- she never eats when she’s not feeling well.  We get bundled up (it’s FREEZING outside), and head to school.

9:00-9:30- I race home and clean 20cm of snow off of my car, cursing the entire time.  Our neighbour comes out and wishes me a Merry Christmas…. hahaha.  I have a good laugh about the crappy spring weather, and head off to the gym to do a cardio and core class.

9:30- 10:10- I start my class.  My calves are killing me, but I muddle through, until….

10:10- 12:30- My phone rings.  Of course, it’s the school.  A. isn’t feeling great and needs to come home.  I pack up my step and my weights, and leave to gym all sweaty and disgusting to pick her up.  Feeling disappointed that I didn’t get to finish my class, worried about my child, and concerned that I’m not going to be able to get a nap before my night shift tonight.  Sigh.  I pick A. up- she doesn’t seem that bad, but she did have Ad.vil this morning, and could get worse as it wears off.  We head home, and I park her with her iPad while I finish my workout and grab a shower.  We both have lunch (she’s eating pretty well for a sick kid), and finally settle in to choose a movie to watch.

12:30- 4:00- I put on Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (her choice), and we both lie on the couch to watch it.  I close my eyes and try to drift off.  I sleep in 10 minute intervals while A. watches her movie (she’s yawning too… just lie down and sleep, child!!!), and occasionally makes requests for water/kleenex/foot massage/juice/etc.  When our first movie ends, I put on another- Mr. Peabody and Sherman.  I say a silent prayer that hubby is having a quiet day, and will get home in enough time for me to take a real nap.  Try to steal some snuggles with A, but she’s super restless, with her stuffy nose and all.  Poor monkey.

4:00-4:10- Hubby still isn’t home, so I get myself off the couch and start preparing some snacks for work.  I think a bit about dinner, but I’m not particularly hungry.  In fact, I have a sore throat and a wicked headache.  Wonderful… facing two night shifts, and I probably caught A’s cold.  Hubby finally arrives home, too late for me to get some quality sleep.  Feeling grateful that I managed to doze on the couch a bit with the wee woman, but absolutely dreading my nights shift, feeling the way I do.

4:10-5:30- I suddenly spike a fever.  Feeling like shit.  I have no choice but to call in sick.  I hate calling in sick.  Not much I can do about it though, so I do what I have to do.  I grab a glass of water and lie on the sofa.  A. is watching some weird cartoon I’ve never seen.  I don’t care.  I drift off to sleep for a while.

5:30-6:30- Wake up feeling slightly better.  Get up to grab a bit of chicken and rice salad for dinner.  Feeling crappy again.  Make myself a coffee, a have a hot bath.  Can’t seem to get the water hot enough.

6:30- 10:00- Lie on the sofa, intermittently crying because my headache is so bad.  Finally concede and take some Ad.vil around 7:00.  By 8:00 it starts to kick in.  I turn on the TV, and watch Walk of Shame.  Laughing makes my head hurt, but I watch anyway.  Hubby bathes A. (who is still super stuffy) and puts her to bed so I can rest.  He’s the best.

10:00- midnight- Sleep intermittently on the sofa, before finally going to bed around 11:30.  Praying to feel better by morning.  Praying A. feels better by morning, too.  We have no time for this shit.

This marks the end of my ‘week in the life’ series… stay tuned for a post summarizing what I’ve learned from this exercise… as soon as I feel well enough to write it!

One comment
  1. I’ve been reading, and loving, this series. I find it so fascinating to have these glimpses into someone’s real life…vs. the curated versions you can share with a “weekend update” that lists only the highlights. I have some thoughts/”assvice” but I wonder if you’ve figured out the same things so I’ll wait to see what you post tomorrow (since I have no time today!) I’m thinking I need to do something similar and see if others can point out things I don’t see.

Add Comment

Required fields are marked *. Your email address will not be published.